Thursday, April 22, 2010

Another Day Picking the Kids Up From School

I know that when I get into the car to pick the kids up from school my peaceful day is gone. When they hop in the car they immediately start on what went wrong that day. Who did what, who got a blue tape, so and so called someone names, this person didn't meet me where they said they would...yadda, yadda, yadda!! (sometimes I try to win the battle and ask what happened good that day, sometimes I give up and hope that if I don't respond maybe they'll stop talking...that doesn't work either...) And when they get home it's a new battle of how starving they are, how they don't want to do their homework, how the lunch I made them wasn't up to their standards, their rooms are too messy for them to clean.....blah blah blah. (This is when I try to go into my "happy place" and all the noise and chaos is muted and blurred and all I hear and see are birds chirping, a stream trickling down a hill, Prince Jeff coming to sweep me away on his galloping steed.........)

When I pick them up from school why can't things go like this... " Hi Mom, it's so nice to see you! Thanks so much for picking us up! We were all angles at school today just like you taught us. We're so excited to get home to work on our homework so that we can play all evening with no worries. We will also make sure our rooms are clean so the sanity stays in the home and then play quietly while we wait patiently for dinner to be ready. You're the greatest Mom!!

Am I really asking too much??