Sunday, December 21, 2008

Camping in the Snow

So Jeff and I have plans to leave tomorrow morning to go camping with a friend, Fred Schubert. People have mentioned that we're crazy, which could be the case, but what's life without a little craze in it?

The idea started with me I must admit. I love the mountains but I have always been afraid of camping/hiking because my fear of being eaten by wild animals. I have made myself go on outings in the recent past to try and get over this fear and become one with the outdoors, but I still find myself looking over my shoulder imagining the worst…. So I decided I would jump in with both feet, all or nothing, and we had Monday and Tuesday open and we're taking it.

My experience with the outdoors is pretty good but I have never done it in this much snow. Our plan is to drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon tomorrow morning and find a place that is safe from avalanches, then we will walk a mile from any trail or road into the wilderness and pitch our tent. That’s it…..then wait…..wait to get eaten, wait for the storm, wait for the tent to malfunction, wait to freeze, wait to be rescued…..LOL!

Our preparations have included light reading, lots of shopping, and talking with my dad who actually knows what he’s doing. ;0) We have geared up our packs and loaded them with the basics like food, water, first-aid kit, flashlights, knives, survival stuff, etc… We are also bringing extra thermal underwear in case we get too sweaty during the day or we're just too plain cold at night. Our gear isn’t the most sufficient so we have also packed a fleece blanket and flannel sheet to put inside our 20 degree sleeping bag. My pack weights A LOT and drowns me but I’m pretty optimistic about being able to travel the mile in the unknown amount of fresh, deep snow…..;0) We might be using snowshoes as our friend, Fred, has extra pairs. If needed, I hope they work.

I do realize that it might be snowing tomorrow, but I think we can make it. The only challenge will be keeping the moisture out of the tent. It should hold up pretty well if we can manage that, but if the winds pick up that’s when I will be more concerned. This tent isn’t made for Everest winds….or a pack of wild, giant, cats attacking…(These are the crazy thoughts that run through my head) I'm not really sure how we're going to stake it either, we might have to tie it off to rocks and trees if the snow won't hold it....hmmmm

I expect a lot of hard work and then a lot of down time because the sun sets so early. We will be bringing some cards for entertainment and our hilarious sense of humor to pass the time! LOL Hopefully it won’t be spent hording off wild rouge animals…..(see, there I go again!)

I may sound like a wuss but that might be because…..I am? For the most part I will be happy with the outcome….except for frostbite or death……minor things. Even if we have to pack up and leave early that will be okay because I will know that I honestly tried and have done my best. I will be happy with knowing I did something I love despite my fears and will have more confidence to get out there!

But I don’t know if I can ever get used to peeing in the woods….. :0(

I will be taking pictures so stay tuned and hopefully a blog or so later, you will know how it turned out. Hopefully we will be able to leave tomorrow and all will go well!

Wish us luck!!

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Can't wait to hear about the trip. I hope your next post also includes pictues of your grand adventures. Merry Christmas.

Liz Schubert said...

Lacy, you are so brave. I am the wuss. Signed, Fred's wife. My blog is http://lizzy-freddy.blogspot.com but hasn't been updated since last February. I'll have to fix that.

Sean and Brittany said...

Just so you know Lacey, big cats don't travel in packs. But wolves and coyotes do.