Sunday, December 14, 2008

Setting Up The Christmas Tree

We decorated for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving this year and one of my favorite things about Christmas is setting up the tree. Not because I like a tree that is too big, taking up all the room, but because I let the kids do all the decorating and I love to see the bunches of ornaments strung together weighing down a branch while the rest of the tree stands bare. This year they did pretty good about getting them more even so the tree doesn't lean to one side....

It starts by me sitting on the couch while the Christmas music plays in the background and setting out the ornaments to be put on the tree.
I discover that most the ornaments don't have hooks on them but can't find the hooks so they just use the string they came with and shove them on a branch...
Jeff does all the heavy lifting when the kids say they want to put one on the top. I love it when we plug it in and the lights don't all work so we painstakingly try every bulb....
This year we gave up and the spots where the lights weren't working simply got turned around against the wall...no worries...! Some flash and some don't but it's a happy tree.

When it was all done Jeff made the most delicious Snicker Doodle cookies and we ate them with a side of milk around the tree until we were sick...good times!!

Oh, there's the hooks.....!!

2 comments:

Sherilyn said...

What a great tradition. I love that you don't care where the ornaments are hung. Lilly did such a great job in sacrement meeting yesterday. Let her know that I loved it.

chrissy said...

I missed it... what did Lilly do in sacrament meeting??? That's what I get for being sicky.

The tree looks great! I'm with ya on the hooks. But I always forget to buy mine before we put up the tree, so then we have to put off the ornaments until we go buy a stupid box of 88 cent hooks. I just need to stock up on them so they're ready to go next year, I guess.