Saturday, February 21, 2009

Biking Dimple Dell

What a wonderful day to be out! Kris, Scott, Jeff, and I went biking in the Dimple Dale canyon... thingy. Here we are getting our gear out of the cars and making sure all bikes are working properly. This is Scott's bike...we haven't even ridden yet and look how dirty it is. Now that's extreme! ;0) Cute Jeff! Here's my bike and pack. Notice how they match so well! Even in the great outdoors a girl has to look out for her fashion sense...jk But do notice the kick stand....that embarrasses the guys...totally not cool apparently! ;0)Kris, Me, and Jeff before we take off.Kris, Scott, and Jeff.It was a bit muddy and icy in some areas but that just made for more fun. The terrain was mostly sandy with chunky rocks intermixed which made for a more unstable ride but a softer landing...well, if you missed the rocks anyway. Here's some of the sandy area where you can kind of see that horses have come and gone. We're just taking a break from the hill we just came up.
Looking for more fun stuff we decided to get off the trails and head down whatever parts looked clear enough for the bikes. Here's Kris, the visible one. If you look closely I am "in" the bush...not just behind. This next part was a really steep hill that we wanted to try and attempt. Scott went first....he seemed to be the guinea pig for the night, to make sure it was.....safe?.... This is me looking down the hill wondering how I was going to do this. Kris is in the background laughing....probably at me.
So here I go....maybe.....wait, wait.. Kris, should go first.He starts on a level point to get his bearings, then he's off.He makes it down in one piece. It's was a lot steeper than it looks here. Scott's at the bottom getting the best view.Then I tried again. I'm leveled out and on my way........eeeeeek!I make it! No worries. So did Jeff but he had the camera so there are no pictures of his victory.
So after this we did some up and downs, nothing too exciting until Scott got a little idea to see if he could limbo this fence post with his bike and go down the steep hill on the other side. We looked at the clearance and said there was no way. Scott was more optimistic and to my surprise, actually tried. LOL! Jeff was below getting the shot and thankfully he did! We all held our breath as we watched. There was silence until "ow!" Here is Scott at the perfect moment of getting stuck under the log fence! So hilarious! Gotta love a Go-getter!!! So if the first attempt was a dud then for sure try again....at least that was Scott's thinking. He backed up and went again....But no......hahahahahahahahah! He got stuck, again! Kris and I decided to help out by lifting the fence which gave him enough clearance to head down the hill. :0) Nothing like team work!He's down, but needless to say, he was the only one to try that this time. :0)The onlookers....
Another crazy hill. Scott went first of course.Kris and I discussing who will go next....
Apparently me.Kris' turn.
We all make it down this one too and keep riding some more. Crazy fun! In this picture I look like I'm dying to keep up. It would have been nice of Jeff to let me know he was snapping one so I could at least look leisurely cool.... :0) I was probably cussing my gears. They kept shifting when I didn't want them to. Good ol' Scotty and the beautiful mountains in the background! Kris and a "good ol' time" look written all over his face. This was another massive hill. Scott was the only one that did this one. I wanted to try it but after climbing the hill we opted for another route. Still, it was a good one. I asked, "How steep do you think this is?" Kris answered, "We call that 90 degrees....."


Here goes Scott... We actually got this one on film possibly expecting a crash but nope.
Not sure about this one....

It began to get a little dark which made the venture a little more challenging. :0)We did a few more great hills and then it was off to the road to make our way back to the cars. It was very dark by then so we road single file "up" the road hoping to not get hit by a car. (Yes, you heard right, Up! It kinda sucked..) But we all managed. Scott was very kind and helped me the last bit of the way by pushing me on my back pack while riding next to me. Crazy strong I would say! I wanted so badly to stop and rest but I thought as long as he's pushing me and himself up the hill I can at least keep going...

The ride was great but getting to do it with great friends was even better!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Hahaha! Yeah, great post with great pictures. That was the best ride by far. And I definitely agree, made infinitely better with great friends!

chrissy said...

Wow, Lace. You are one tough chick!

Kara said...

Have I ever told you that you are my hero?