Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bonneville Shoreline Trail in the Rain, Too Fun!

(May 2, 2009)
Another fun bike ride! This time the group consisted of Kris, Dave, Corrine, John, Steve, and me. We headed to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail up by Hogle Zoo. It was about 9:30 in the morning and pouring rain! By the time our bikes were out of the cars and ready to go we were already soaked through. People were opting to just go and have breakfast instead but I was in it for the ride so I was hoping everyone would keep their willing spirits.

Here are some pics I took right when we got there. I couldn't take the camera on the ride because of the rain but I so wish I could have. This picture totally says it all for Steve. I had to convince him to go...lol!

Everyone probably wondering if we should think of a plan B.

Dave liked the idea and was probably the most enthusiastic about it aside from me! Go Dave!

Corrine was such a trooper. This was her first time mountain biking and it had to be in the rain...
We didn't really know where we were going, as the trail took a few different turns and none of us were familiar with this route. A few wrong turns here and there but that just gave us more exercise so I guess it's okay.

Kris took a spill soon after we started when his bike slipped in the mud. He wasn't too happy as it got him all muddy and gummed up his bike a bit. His peddle also took a little slice of his knee so when he got himself together again we noticed his socks turning a shade of red.. All is well because he was so numb from freezing that he didn't feel much pain. Time to ride on!

A bit later when we got separated I took a little spill and tumbled with my bike down a bit of a hill. It wasn't bad, I was just trying to turn when the turn came but the mud wouldn't let me so I just slipped to the side. My leg somehow got twisted in my bike so I got a few dings from that but you would never know it because you couldn't see anything through the mud.

From many tough hill climbs through slick mud that was working against us, to rain pouring and people freezing to the bone and scratches and bruises, we had a really fun time. We didn't really get to the destination we were headed for but I think that's because we really didn't know where that was...lol. It's all about being with friends doing crazy things anyway, not about where you end up.

By the time we got back to the car we were all covered in mud. Our bikes were caked with it and I was hoping for a torrential down pour of rain to wash them off before I had to put them back into the van... I tried squirting mine off with a water bottle but there just wasn't enough to go around for the three bikes that were to fit in the back of the car. I had a mat for the van and some towels and a change of shoes and clothes.

Everyone was freezing but had smiles on their faces! I then suggested we go to breakfast now...but for some reason I don't think any place would let us in.. ;0)

When we got back home we did the ritual of cleaning off the bikes, clothes, shoes, and other gear out on the lawn. You know someone had a great day when you find their recreation gear nicely used and sprawled out in the yard! Ahh, good times!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

You guys (and girls) are CRAZY! That's all I have to say about that. I'm glad you all had fun...Steve's always in such a great mood when he gets home from having his "recreation" time. Right about then is when I pull out his honeydo list and he does it without grumbling. Thanks for dragging him along for some fun!